
Jim wrote the heading, I didn't, but I want to tell you what it is like to spend your birthday in the City of Lights! It was incredible! We started out the day at a little cafe for breakfast. Then Jim surprised me with a beautiful bouquet of

flowers. They come already packaged in a cute little bouquet with a self-vase. Don't ask me how they think of these things but they do. We put the flowers in a dish just in case. We then headed off for the Eiffel Tower.
Upon arriving we were awe struck at the magnificent beauty of this creation. No matter how many times we walk by it, or drive by it, it still seems to take our breath away. We got in line for the tickets to the top (yes to the very top) and off we went with the rest of the thousands. Personally I thought there were too many of us the Tower and was a little worried that it might give out due to overweight, bu Jim just kept reassuring me that this has been in use for 100 years and it is still standing! I like to think the odds are in favor of it collapsing!

At the first stop, I decided that I was happy with that view (200 ft). It was wonderful just walking around and looking at the maps that showed us all the monuments and gardens. But Jim wanted to go higher so off we went.
The next stop is at 400 ft. Our guide book tells us to get off here, quickly find the elevator for the top and go straight up to avoid the crowds. I wish I could have stayed there as the view was quite lovely and I really don't care for heights, but off we went again.
The last stop is at 900 ft! We literally felt on top of the world. Though the monuments weren't as easily identifiable, we knew what direction to look and what to look for. It was magnificent! If you could just stand still and have 360 degree vision it would have been better but we had to walk around to see it all! I did a once round and then headed for the elevator. I didn't want to take time away from the other visitors waiting to come up!
We had read about a wonderful restaurant on the first level called Altitude 95. We thought that this would be a great place to have a birthday lunch. We found the restaurant and followed some people into the restaurant. We couldn't believe our luck, we found a table for 2 right by the window overlooking the Seine River. How great was that! Our luck soon changed within a few minutes when a curt, young lady approached us and asked us in a loud voice if we had a reservation. "No" we replied. "Well this restaurant is for reservations only and this table is reserved". (In our defense, the restaurant had no sign posted that said reservations only and our guidebook would have indicated that, and 2nd, it is totally all right to find a table without the maitre'd seating you in France. It is done all the time, you walk in and look for a table and then the waiter comes to you with the menu). I of course was totally embarrassed and Jim asked "Where then are we going to have her birthday lunch?" By this time I was already headed out and was glad we weren't eating in that rude, stuffy, overpriced restaurant!

Instead of lunch we found an ice cream booth and bench and sat in shade of the Eiffel Tower eating ice cream and a lemon tart. What could be better than that?
We then found our way home, stopped at the local mall and found me a new black shoulder purse like all the Europeans have and home we went for a little rest.
A couple hours later we headed back to the Eiffel Tower to see it at night and in lights. We had a great dinner across the street from the Tower but finished early so we could be on Trocadero Square around 7:30 PM to see the Eiffel Tower at dusk. The lights inside the framework start lighting then and at exactly 8:00


twinkle lights on the
outside light up the Tower for 10 minutes. The twinkle lights come on every hour for 10 minutes and then they go off! It was wonderful and beautiful! This birthday is certainly one that I will remember for years and years to come. As the French say "C'ETAIT PARFAIT!!!" Print this post
4 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Those pictures are amazing!! WOW!
Excellent way to spend your Birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY.... and we are "How Young?" :-)
Hi mom...finally back to the computer...whew!!! Didn't know how much longer I could STAND not having it!!
The Eiffel Tower sounds great! I'm glad you had a nice birthday...can't you just imagine Lydia and K singing and playing the piano for you?!
Wow...what a way to spend your birthday! I can't imagine how wonderful that would be! I have always wanted to see those "twinkly-lights" on the Eiffel Tower. You see them in all the shows and in all the movies.
Post a Comment