Friday, September 01, 2006

London, September 1st, Day 1

Well we are here finally!!! The flight here was long and uneventful (British Airways is very nice FYI) and both of us tried to sleep but I don't think we got much. We landed a bit early and took the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station. There I convinced the ever frugal Jim to just get a cab for the rest of the distance to our hotel as I was so tired and didn't want to hassle with the tube. The total cost from airport to hotel $90!!!! But the good news is that the Hilton let us check in early and we got to sleep. Our first view of London is rather unimpressive. I can see why Mary Poppins loved it here. There is a cool breeze so she would always have flight and her faithful sidekick (Dick Van Dyke) has soooooooooooo mnay chimneys to sweep. I have never seen so many chimneys in my life. And each chimney has at least 5-6 terra cotta flues sticking out above the chimney. A definite business source here! We are off tomorrow to see the Tower of London and some of the other tourist sites. We have encountered few problems, mostly caused by our lack of direction (like walking 30 minutes in the wrong direction only to have to turn around and walk back from whence we came) and making sure that when we cross the street we look left, right, left or vice versa whichever it is. No rain today but our umbrella is handy in our backpack. There is no doubt that Londonites love their clothes as we have seen very many interesting outfits. Too bad this writer doesn't like to shop. Well please don't judge this blog by today's entry. We are excited to begin this new adventure. Print this post

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you're off...

what an exciting start you had! I would think our brain is so imprinted with US standards, that all this backwards nonsense would frustrate the heck out of someone! I wonder how long it will take before you get used to it!

Anonymous said...

Well just as long as nobody calls you "Stu-Peede Americuns" you should be fine!

Anonymous said...

What the heck are you guys doing??!! Maren sent us an email linking to her blog, which links to your blog.

Are you really moving to Europe? If so, terrific! But why? And why didn't you talk to us first? :o(

How can you come to Daniel's wedding reception (10/21) if you're not here???

We love you both, and hope you enjoy all the things we loved on the other side of the pond (& don't encounter the bad things).

Please send us an email...

With love,
Gary & Jan
jphoenix@cox.net

P.S. We have a dear friend getting married in the London temple tomorrow - think you can make it on our behalf? (grin)

Anonymous said...

Have fun and enjoy the culture. That's what I enjoyed the most when I was over there many years ago. How different others live their lives. We are truly spoiled in the USA