
Today Jim was anxious to get started I guess because he woke up at 6:15 and turned on the lights though I wasn't finished sleeping. After protesting a bit I got up too and got ready to hit the tube for another wonderful day of sight-seeing. We are getting to be such pro's at changing tubes to get here and there that I am kind of scaring myself. Our goal today was Westminster Abbey, the Tate Modern museum and Trafalgar square again. Off we went.
We arrived at Westminster and again were awed by the overwhelming size and beauty of this 1000 year old cathedral. (note Maridee in picture--so skinny from all the walking!) After purchasing our tickets (which we know the money goes to a great cause) we step inside and realized we are walking around in HISTORY!!! I mean big time history. This is where the famous kings and queens are interred, poets, musicians, political figures, fallen war heroes. As there are tombs literally underneath your feet, I felt somewhat disrespectful walking on them. We tried our best to avoid them but they are everywhere. Now don't think that this is gloomy. These tombs are gilded, carved in marble, glorious works of art in themselves. It was absolutely so moving to know that this was the place of burial for someone's mother, father, brother, sister, child. At 11:00 the priest stood at the high rostrum and asked for silence. Then he offered a prayer in our behalf. That too was very moving as everyone stood still and silent and listened to his prayer for us. One could stay there for hours reading every marker and still miss someone of importance.
Then we stood in front of the alter and thought about the next coronation of the monarchy. As all kings and queens have been crowned here they are in the process of cleaning the 1000 year old tiles, hopefully to have it ready for Prince Charles, if not Prince William.
As we left this magnificent area Jim was about to take a picture and guess what???? His batteries ran out! I couldn't believe that my ever perfect, non-mistake making husband forgot to charge the batteries to our camera. So no pictures for us today!
Off to the Tate Modern, a new museum built for the millennium and housing modern art. OK I guess I now know that I don't like modern art at all. I could find nothing that moved me though there were Picasso's, Dali's, etc. I pushed us through that as fast as I could and even if Jim had wanted to see more he wouldn't have dared said so as I was ready to leave. Maybe next trip to London I will appreciate the Modern, but not this time.
We then walked across the Thames on foot on the new millennium Footbridge that was built for the millennium. I guess after it opened they discovered it wasn't as sturdy as it should be and closed it for restructuring. They have reopened it and I was glad to get off it. I must say though (and you will have to close your eyes and imagine this) but walking across the Thames on this brand new bridge, right before your eyes looming like a spectacular presence is Saint Paul's Cathedral. Quite a contrast between the old and the new. Sure wish we had a picture of that moment (believe me no one carries batteries!).
Now we are on to Trafalgar Square( having puchased batteries). My father and mother stayed at a hotel near the square and I must get a picture of it for dear old dad. You see, this hotel, was the pits and mom never let him forget it. Of course he didn't know about it when he booked it but I dare say that he has told me the story that this is the only hotel room that made my mother cry. We have to find it for old times sake.
I would enclose pictures but not today. We have had wonderful weather, are enjoying the tv news (a big story yesterday was no more chips (fries) for student lunches and at least 2 fruits and veggies at lunch time.) They were interviewing every student they could find to see what they had to say about it. Pizza only once a week too! How dare they! Well that's it for now. Until tomorrow.

I would like to follow up with today’s blog about the Craven St. Hotel that my parent’s stayed at. First of all, my father is the consummate story teller which is why I find this story so funny. The story goes that when my parents pulled up in a cab to their hotel on Craven St. the cab driver told them they shouldn’t be staying there and this couldn’t be their hotel. Well it was and they went ahead and soon discovered that the hotel was just awful. Upon seeing the room and staying there one night my mother cried. They were so embarrassed by where they were staying that when friends whom they joined up with for a night of theater came to drop them off, they told them they just wanted to be left at the corner, they loved walking!!!!
So on our journey Jim and I go to find this dreadful hotel some 25+ years later. Craven St. is the home of Ben Franklin. Knowing what area to look we searched up and down the street for this dreadful hotel and couldn’t find it. Could we be on the wrong Craven St? Finally I came to the area where the hotel should be. I guess it was sooo bad that they turned it into this…………………..a parking garage! Maybe mom was right after all. Print this post
1 comment:
That was a great story!
Poor Grandma...
Post a Comment