Monday, May 04, 2009

Slavemaster!











Well we have not had one single minute of free time in the past 2 days. Kathy has kept us going and going and going! Just kidding.
Yesterday, Sunday, Dorothy wanted to go to church and met up with her friend Kathleen Kelley who she helped join the church 20 years ago. Jim was being rebellious or what the Catholics call "lapse" so the 3 of us got a cab and had our local cabbie take us to the Mormon Church.

Afterwards Kathleen drove us out in the country and we found a lovely place to eat lunch. Kathy had Irish Beef prime rib, mashed potatoes and boiled potatoes, cooked cabbage, cauliflower and mashed carrots and rubbarb pie. I had a piece of bacon (it is really a piece of ham here), stuffing on top of that and then a slice of turkey on top of it all smothered in gravy. Of course I also had mashed potatoes, boiled potatoes, cooked cabbage and gravy over it all. I shared the pie with Kathy. Dorothy had pork roast with all the above fixings too.We then found a cab to take us back to the hotel.We did a lot of walking today to burn off all those calories!

Once we got back to the hotel we found our "lapse" Jim and took a cab to the Book of Kells at Trinity College. This weekend is a huge holiday for May 1st. Everything closes early or doesn't open at all but we were lucky to get to Trinity College in time to see the manuscript. No pictures are allowed anywhere near the manuscript so please go online to see an example of it. They turn 2 different pages everyday. It was wonderful and I am happy that we got in to see it.

We waited for the public bus to take us home but decided a cab would be faster and we were tired so off we went again for a cab ride. Our cab driver dropped us off at Little Italy restaurant which Jim found on his walks while we were being religious. We had a great supper of spaghetti, pasta primavera and spaghetti carbonara. All of this was topped off with a bowl of ice cream.

Today took us to the Kilmainhem Gaol (Jail) where we enjoyed a wonderful tour. Kilmainhem Gaol was built in 1796 and was the Dublin Jail and a debtors prison. It was also a place where they kept all the political prisoners who fought for Irish independence. Many were hanged, drawn and quartered and then in later years just hanged. It was so cold in there--not just because it was rainy and cloudy today, but it was built so that very little sun shone in the prison to "teach those prisoners a lesson." It was a very lonely place that is now a National Museum. The picture of the brighter area was added on in the late 1800's.
We have been very interested in the fact that everyone here only thinks about drinking on their days off. It was mentioned every single time we got in a cab. "What bar were we going to and how drunk were we going to get?" Sadly we have seen many, many intoxicated people that don't care how their behavior affects others.

We are leaving tomorrow for the United States. Our flights will take us to Chicago and then to Phoenix. I have learned a valuable travel lesson this time. It seems that the more we travel the more I learn about myself. If I want to privately tour and then cruise I need to do it in that order. Once I have packed and left the ship I am ready to go home. We have enjoyed Rome and Dublin at the end of our trip but both Jim and I are ready for family, good old Arizona and Mexican Food! Again there's no place like home!

Love you all and thanks for traveling with us!

Print this post

No comments: