Wednesday, July 25, 2018

The beauty is in the people!

I LOVE Sydney, Nova Scotia! 7 years ago when we were here I had the kindest experience of my travels. I was in search of a Sydney Crosby jersey for my niece Kelsey and I thought I could find them anywhere in Canada. No such luck! We had about an hour left in Sydney and the cruise terminal had volunteers asking if they could help us with anything. I told this one man that I was looking for a Crosby NHL jersey and couldn't find one. He made a call on his cell phone and located one in a sports shop in town. Of course it was almost time for us to leave (I think I had 40 minutes) so I asked him to help me call a cab. He said "Absolutely not! I will take you!" I told him that would be so nice but I didn't see how I could make it back in time. He said "lets leave now and I will have you back!" Of course I grabbed Jim and said a silent prayer hoping we would return a) alive or b) on time and not miss the ship!

Well he took us in his car right to the shop, had the owner show us the shirt, I made the purchase, and he brought us back to the port with just a few minutes to spare!!!! We tried to pay him for his gas and time but he would have non of it. He was a local Kiwanis member and just wanted to help us out!!!

That experience has stayed with me as I travel and see others in need. Whether it is helping with directions, or the laundry, or directing them to a doctor, etc. I always remember him and his kindness with us.  That is what traveling does for me....it introduces me to a world where people and their lives matter.

Enough of my soapbox......we are here again in Sydney. It is currently a little warm here 76 degrees and 80% humidity at 10:00 AM.

Here is a beautiful picture of our time here before. Google the area. I guess we were in awe of the land and never took any pictures when we were here in 2011!!!!!  So much for the beautiful area! I guess the beauty is in the people!
Print this post

No comments: