Monday, July 28, 2008

Daily Food Diary per Maren's request

Our dear daughter Maren has requested that we tell her all about the delicious food we have had. So this post will include our wonderful delicacies of Sweden.

Breakfast is always the same. It is provided by the hotel which has turned out to be a wonderful deal. Food is very expensive and we figure our breakfast alone would cost us $25-$30. They put a beautiful buffet of different kinds of breads, butters and jams. Next there are the cheeses: brie, Swiss, etc. Then we come to the cold meats: ham, turkey, salami. There are vegetables and crocks of pickled herring. Next we have the fruits: watermelon, cantaloupe, fresh pineapple, kiwi and honeydew. All the fruit is ripe and sweet. Then there are platters of hard-boiled eggs which have very pale yolks but taste very good. We then have the hot plate of sausages and soft boiled eggs.

Of course Sweden is one of the largest coffee drinkers in the world so there are quite a few coffee’s and espresso machines going full strength.

Not to leave out the health conscious, there is a buffet of granola’s, yogurt and buttermilk. I made the mistake the first day of pouring what I thought was vanilla yogurt on my granola only to gag with the first bite. Dad, I am so sorry that I poured you a huge glass of that many years ago. It was nasty! There are nuts, dried fruit and best of all: FLAX SEED!

A few buns and sweet rolls are thrown in but not too many. There is also plenty of juice for the tea-totallers.

So you can see we eat healthy and well for breakfast and go lighter on the rest of the meals.

We have had Swedish meatballs with wonderful mashed potatoes and ligonberry sauce; seafood salad with tons of crayfish and shrimp; roast lamb with potatoes and gravy and a hamburger that should have been thrown out! Any food that we buy out costs us around $50.00 to $60.00. We really want to do a smorgasbord but the price per person is 295 SEK which equals $50.00 each.

Like I have said before, there is nothing like the good old USA for food choices and food prices. Even a Big Mac Combo meal is 72SEK or in US $= $14.00!!!! That is clearly highway McRobbery! Print this post

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Highway McRobbery...AHahahahaha! You are so clever mom!

MMMMM, wow, THANKS for the food post! I didn't need a whole post dedicated to just food...just a little snippet here and there. I believe you can see and feel the soul of a culture by eating it's food (Does good ol' Rick go into deep food philosophy like THAT?!).

Anonymous said...

Flax seed. Now your breakfast is complete!
By the way...isn't there an IKEA anywhere around there? I think they sell that very dish for $4.95!

Anonymous said...

Breakfast sounds soooo yummy. I could spend all day there. I think I would eat so much that I couldn't do anything for the rest of the day. :-) Love the pictures. How fun.

Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing as Kimber- you can get a pound of Sweedish Meatballs for $7.99! I cannot believe how expensive food is there. Guess it's time to go on a diet!

Marilyn said...

Sounds like youu two are having a great time so far. So sorry to learn of Lorenzo's passing. I will try to go to his services.

Take care and safe travels

Love,
Marilyn