After settling into our small, sleeper compartment, the train started rolling and I think we were both so tired that it didn’t matter what happened next. The train was very loud, very fast (covering from Torino in northern Italy to Naples in the southern part in 10 ½ hours) but we made it safe and sound. I kept awakening every time we pulled into a different station, but locked safely in my compartment with many, many prayers in my heart, I dozed off again until the next stop. To my utter surprise, I think I totaled about 7 hours of sleep.
We arrived in Rome around 5:30 AM and then opened our blinds to see the Roman countryside. I saw something that resembled the Coliseum but I think it was just old Roman columns and arches. You know the everyday kind of ancient Roman columns that you see in this part of the county. No big deal!
We got ready and started reading about our arrival in Naples. If we have been warned about anything it is that “you must be very, very careful in Naples and guard everything you own and value”. Thieves and pickpockets prey in groups on the Americans who depart from the security and comfort of the train and look bewildered in the station.
Knowing this, I strapped everything I valued to me, Jim did likewise, I put on my most experienced face, took a deep breath, told Jim to stay right by me and off we went to find our next train.
Actually it wasn’t bad at all. I was approached once by someone wanting to carry my bags (we were already warned that there are no porters in Naples, just thieves). I just walked right on by and we found our next train, down in the basement of the Napoli Centrale.
Down more flights of stairs (if I could kick my suitcase down a flight of stairs I would) but Jim helped and we got our suitcases down, found the right platform and waited for the rush.
Sure enough, the train approached and a total mass of humankind rushed for the door. Jim is such a pro, he picked up both suitcases and got on and I, being a little meeker, waited my turn but started panicking as the available room got smaller and smaller on the train. Finally, I pushed forward too and we both got on the train to Sorrento.
All safe and sound, all legal documents still in our possession and all money still attached to Jim. I think we did it!!!!
The ride to Sorrento was long but uneventful. The representative met us about one hour after we arrived to show us to our new home for the week. A walk of “about 10 minutes” was what he said. Actually it wasn’t bad except there are so many tourists here on Saturday (2 cruise ships are in port) that the small streets were filled with people. And we were dragging our luggage behind us, clacking along on cobblestone streets.
Our apartment here is twice as large as our Paris apartment with half as many amenities; no dishwasher, no couch, no telephone, no internet, no washer/dryer, little hot water but very clean and quiet. I think we can get by with a bed, a bathroom/shower and refrigerator. We found the lavandaria to wash our clothes, a nice Internet bar and pay phones all around. We will be alright.
I wish you could hear what we are hearing right now outside our window, an accordion playing all the songs of Italy for the tourists in the café. Our apartment sits inside a quiet courtyard with a lovely Piazza nearby and all in the area are wonderful shops! I’m in heaven! There are pasta shops (the colored kind in different shapes and sizes), glass shops, lemon shops, lace shops, pastry shops, cafés and just a wonderful homey kind of feeling. Just a 10 minute walk downhill (and at least 20 uphill coming back) is the Mediterranean. We will do that walk a couple of times at least.
I know that once the majority of tourists leave it will be our own city to explore and discover. We made it here, I didn’t have a huge melt-down, and we are safe and sound. For that I am most thankful.
Print this post
Saturday, October 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
whew!! Save and Sound is RIGHT! I can't believe you can take two Tylenol and an adivan and still get going after 7 hours! I would've been gone for 12 hours...at least.
I can't wait to see the pictures of where you're staying...the streets/buildings/etc.
i am so relieved that you made it... i have been worried that we hadn't heard from you...you are in our prayers.
Whoa! I had no idea that Italian train stations were so dangerous! Glad you made it, without too many problems, and that your new place is nice.
Post a Comment