(Our town of Minori with Ravello way up in the distance-see it really was a hike down!)Today we did NOTHING and it wasn't because our calves ached due to our strenous hike yesterday. We just decided to putter around the neighborhood, sit by the water's edge, eat our remaining cans of tuna and pack.
We did visit the cathedral here that has kept us on schedule for the past week. It is beautiful inside and totally different than what we have seen before. There is another funeral in there today and I think the whole town will be attending again. The funeral started at 3:00 and then tonight there was a wedding there. The wedding couple were British and chose to be married here. Their entire wedding party attended also (a very nice local man filled me in on the details. He thought we should stay in Minori and move here!).

This evening we sat on the piazza by the sea and just people watched. As I have said before, this is a very quaint little town. EVERYONE knows everybody. The piazza is about 1/2 mile long and men pushing babies, men talking in groups, women with their friends, multi-generational families strolling together and most of the town just stroll up and down this piazza. They are talking with each other, saying hi to their friends and when they get to the end, they turn around and do it all over again. No one is in a hurry, everyone is out playing and greeting each other and it is such a nice custom. Once it gets dark I suppose they go in and start their dinner but until then the kids get to play soccer, the babies get strolled, and the town catches up on the day's events.
We leave really early in the morning tomorrow (6:15 AM) to catch the bus to Salerno. From there our train leaves at 8:40 AM for Florence. We should arrive in Florence by 1:30 PM. Our next apartment is in the city center and Jim thinks we can walk to the apartment from the train station. We'll see.

So from the Amalfi Coast we bid you farewell and for all of you art buffs out there-look out! As Rick Steves puts it: Florence, the home of the Renaissance and birthplace of our modern world, is a "supermarket sweep," and the groceries are the best Renaissance art in Europe. I will make sure that Jim has all of his batteries charged and handy for the next 2 weeks.

Ciao for now! Print this post
3 comments:
Ah, I'm kind of sad you're leaving Minori now. I really "grew" to love that place, through you guys! *sniff*
I am ready and WAITING for the slew of art posts!!!
I had to do some catching up today as I had not checked your blog for a few days. I love the pictures of these quaint places - so amazing to see where and how they built these villages etc. I'm sure the pictures do not do justice to the beauty that is there. I'm so glad that the people there are so nice and make you feel at home. So much of the time now (through media) one would think the world is such a wicked and unfriendly place. It gives me hope for the future. I wish there was more civility and casualness in our communities. We get too caught up in the busy mundane "necessities" of our lives don't we? Have a great weekend
Sounds like a wonderful change of pace from Paris! I too, am sad you're leaving Minori. It sounds like Florence will be completely different- huh?
Post a Comment