Monday, October 02, 2006

Nachos ala Paris

(more pictures from Giverny)

What a nice cool day in Paris. This was what I thought it was going to be like--cloudy, a light drizzle off and on during the day, a feeling of coolness in the air. That's what I was looking for! It seems to have happened with the turn of the calendar--just like clockwork!

I guess we got here a month too early. It has been nice, but when the sun is shining, you feel warm; you are looking for the shade. At times, the subway can be a sauna. Not everywhere, but on certain tunnels, on certain lines, it gets very warm. You can feel the sweat beading up underneath. And when you walk up out of the tunnels, the fresh cool air feels so good. The same is true with our apartment. If you left the windows closed, and came back in the afternoon, it could be very warm. So we normally leave the windows open during the day while we are gone and hope that it doesn't rain.

We are doing nothing today. Maridee went on some errands and of course went shopping--but mostly we are just kicking back.

Besides buying a baguette of bread everyday, we have also been buying an avocado everyday. They are sooooo good. So today we are going to try to make some guacamole and salsa. We don't have any hot peppers--just tomatoes and onions. We'll see.


Interesting observations/facts from Maridee:

I have been meaning to write about the children and how they all ride strollers here. It looks like they ride in a stroller up to the age of 5 (and pacifiers are also a big deal). The strollers are made so that if it starts raining or snowing, they zip a clear plastic thing around the stroller so the child stays nice and dry and can still see what's going on. Kind of like a bubble child!

We just finished the Jim's Parisian style of Nachos! Boy were they good considering....... We found corn chips (69 cents for a bag the size you would put in a lunch box), placed a mixture of some yellow cheese from Holland and some shredded swiss cheese from France, microwaved and then added some of Jim's famous pico de gallo made from tomatoes, onions, salt and cumin, a little creme fraiche (I think it was sour cream but not sure) and chopped up avocado! C'est Bon! It is amazing what you can do with or without when you want to.

By law here, all produce must tell you where it came from (no hunting on the box or anything). Each sign over the produce states the country of origin and the "special code" so you can weigh it yourself. The avocados come from Spain and they are almost always perfect when we buy them. Their price is about 1.30 for one very nice size avocado.

We are off tomorrow to Chartres. We are planning a full day there. It is an hour train ride there and back. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us. Print this post

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man. I need some Mexican food...now! You really can't find peppers there? What about canned or jarred (gross, but next best thing). What about cilantro? I'd better get the roast out to make chimichanga's tomorrow!!

I have a friend over in London, and they call the pacifiers DUMMIES. Too cute! They have those clear plastic covers on strollers here. I think I would die being zipped up in a humid, wet plastic bag!

I'm glad you had a nice, relaxing day. The weather there is like what it is here. Cooler, a little more wet, a little breezy. You can tell Fall is in the air.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's getting cooler now. It's getting cooler in Arizona too! Yay!

I am also very relieved to know that I WILL be able to make guacamole someday if I am ever in Paris.