When we went out this morning, we didn't really have any plans. It's odd that we just naturally migrated to the Duomo again! We went inside to have a look at the interior. Like I said yesterday, the inside is very plain. The ceiling and walls are white, but the floor is very nice with colored marble. After a quick look around, we went down into the crypt. There was a tour down there where we learned that the Duomo was actually built right on top of an ancient Roman temple. They had excavated the old church which had mosaic floors, very similar to the ones we saw in Pompeii and Herculaneum. They actually have church services down there, there was an altar and pews. I wonder who gets to go worship in the crypt, and who gets to worship in the Duomo?
After we left the Duomo we went on a shopping trip to find Jim some new Levis. His only pair are a little baggy and I am kind of embarrassed because even with a belt he is always hiking them up. We found a store like Macy's, Coin, and finally found the men's department. He found a pair of jeans (you take your waist size and add 16 to it and that's the size you get). I think he wasn't used to the European fit because he felt they were a little tight in the legs and rear end! I thought they looked great but I knew he would never wear them in public! So we will try another place we heard of.
We walked to the Piazza del Signoria where David used to stand and now there is a reproduction of David there. It is a hugh piazza where statues abound, gypsies beg, people stop and take pictures and people watching is the favorite pasttime. We found a cafe open for lunch and sat and people watched too.

After lunch we walked around the corner to the Straw Market. It is an open air market like so many here. It used to be a gathering place in the 1500's but now it has stalls of purses, scarves, knick knacks, etc. Its claim to fame is the pig

fountain. Legend has it if you rub the snout of the bronze pig you will get to come back to Florence. Rome has their Trevi Fountains and Florence has a golden boar! Of course everyone was around the pig getting their pictures taken and rubbing the snout. Nearby is the local favorite sandwich: TRIPE (cow or pig intestines and belly)! Yes, there is a wagon that makes homemade tripe sandwiches. People were eating them but when we walked by the smell made me gag!
We were so close to the Ponte Vecchio that we made our away across the bridge finally. Last year we couldn't even get close but this year we made our way all the way across the bridge. This is the famous gold and silver market. Every store is dripping with gold jewlery, stones, more gold. It just glitters! Every store window has necklaces, earrings, diamonds, watches, and anything that glitters displayed. I don't know how anyone could possibly decide what they wanted. There is so much to choose from it is too overwhelming for me. I did see a necklace I might go back for!By then we were so cultured out that we headed back to the apartment and planned for our next day. Of course we had to stop at a gelateria for a taste of the best gelato in the world! Print this post
2 comments:
What a GREAT day that sounded like! I'm SURE there will be MANY more to look forward to...right?!
About that bridge, Ponte Vecchio (a little history for you and your readers):
Back in the "day", before there were actual buildings on the bridge, men (and women I suppose) would set up their tables with their goods for sale. Often, a vendor got into financial trouble with his/her suppliers and couldn't pay their debt.
The officials, or soldiers, would be sent to find these debtors and quite literally BREAK ("rotto") the merchants tables ("banco"), on which they sold their wares, and therefore, could no longer sell. This practice was called "bancorotto" (broken table; possibly it can come from "banca rotta" which means "broken bank"). The financial term "bankrupt", or "bankruptcy" is thought to have originated from this old practice.
Interesting, huh?
That is very interesting Maren! You certainly have done your research ;)
So I was wondering if you rub snouts with the boar- like an Eskimo Kiss? Or if you just rub it with your hand. You might get a little bit of "extra" luck if you rub YOUR snout with his!
Post a Comment