Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Another fine day in paradise!

Today was absolutely beautiful. All the clouds went away and all of the haze was gone and the air was just crystal clear (and just a little nippy!) We didn't really want to go anywhere today, but it was just too nice to pass up. We decided to ride the bus to Camogli, a town just north of us, on the little Portofino pennisula. We went there last year on our cruise and so we didn't really want to see anything (probably everything would be closed anyway), but it would just be fun to ride the bus to get there and then ride it back again. We saw some other small towns along the way (inland), and since it was such a nice day, we could even see Genoa in the distance.

When the bus got to the end of the line, it stopped and the driver turned the motor off and then he got off. So we got off too to stretch our legs. Since it was the end of the line, we expected the bus to change its sign to go the other way, but it also changed its route number, which now read Rapallo and Santa Margharita. "That's OK", we thought, but it only went to the outskirts of Santa Margherita and then on to Rapallo. Oh, well, let's go to Rapallo!

We did a little window shopping and then went back to the same Chinese restaurant as before and had another Thanksgiving feast! Moo Sho Turkey and Kung Pao Turkey (ok--chicken) and fried rice (stuffing) and mixed vegetables--it was great!

Tomorrow we travel, and so we will probably not be able to post a blog. We have some pretty tight connections with the trains. We have to ride four trains to get to Nurenburg, Germany: 1) from Santa Margherita to Genoa, 2) from Genoa to Milan, 3) from Milan to Stuttgart, and 4) from Stuttgart to Nurenburg. I thnk we only have 7 minutes to switch in Stuttgart, so we'll see how that goes!

We told Papa, our hotel owner, we would be leaving at six o'clock in the morning and he said we could have a water bottle to take with us (since it was too early for breakfast) and when we asked if he knew when the bus came by in the morning, he went on and on--"Oh, you no taka the bus, I driva you in the car. You too nica people to taka the bus at 6 o'clock in the morning. I taka you!" I thinka we're the only people lefta in the hotel (whoops, I gotta quita talking lika this!). Like we said before, they are just doing everything they can to make us happy.

So a fond arrivederci to Italy. We have seen so much of this country and have enjoyed our stay here. Each part of the country is so different; from the food to the people. ...on to Germany and the Danube. Print this post

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, arrivederci Italy! I'm going to miss reading about it. I think this is now the very top of my list of places I want to travel to. It just sounds so relaxing. Well except for all of the train transfers.

Good luck with the trains tommorrow, and like I said, try to sneak in a little turkey somewhere. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

good luck on your travels and hope it all goes well.

I'll miss your Italian adventures as well...what a beautiful people and country!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving. We are on our way to Dean and Deanna's. Enjoy your adventures, can't wait to hear all about Germany.