OK—commit this to memory and don’t forget it! Do not under any circumstances choose your own fruit at a fruit store! I must have had a lapse of memory because today I chose my own fruit and got yelled at. “This is not self-service. You cannot choose your own fruit!” In my defense, the store has both an inside and outside. I was standing outside selecting my apple and tangerines and Jim was inside getting a pear. She picked out his pear and was ringing it up when he said, “Wait, my wife is outside getting some fruit.” At that moment I walked in and got yelled at. I never pick up anything in any kind of a store without first asking permission. If I want to look at the slightest object, I first ask if it is OK to pick it up and look. Must be old age dementia setting in that I forgot this very European way of shopping. They choose your fruit and vegetables for you. And if you think it is because we have germs on our hands or something; let me share a picture with you. There are flies and gnats all over the fruit so I don’t think it is the germ issue with them.
Although it didn’t rain yesterday, it was pouring rain overnight. This morning we woke to sunny—partly cloudy skies. At our breakfast in the hotel, we met another American. A single lady, about our age, was traveling over here alone—and she has been in Europe since October 1st. We compared notes and talked about our experiences.
Today the plan is to go to Rapallo--a neighboring town—a little larger than Santa Margherita.(Our guide book says Rapallo sold out—they got involved in making their city tourist friendly). Eighty cents for a bus ride and we’re there. It was a very nice town. It seemed very busy with lots of buses and traffic and people and a very long harbor front. It had a very large marina like Santa Margherita. There were a lot of people out walking the boardwalk along the water. If you look at the people, I guess that they are mostly retired and Moms pushing strollers.
We too were walking along the waterfront, when we spotted it—a Chinese restaurant! Oh my goodness—that is the first one we have seen since arriving in Italy. We went in for lunch and ordered practically everything on the menu! It was soooooo good! We’re going to call it Thanksgiving because I’m sure we’re not going to get anything else for Thanksgiving! (We had spring rolls, fried dumplings, hot and sour soup, won ton soup, friend rice, chicken with almonds and sweet and sour pork!)We still have a hard time remembering that in smaller towns, everything closes up for the afternoon. Most restaurants remain open, but practically every other store closes from about 12 noon to 4 or 5pm. On Monday, many stores are also closed along with museums. Print this post
2 comments:
Ooooooo- lucky you!!! I would imagine that it would be hard to find Chinese food of any kind over there in Europe. They must think Americans are so bizzare for eating foods from all parts of the world.
I CANNOT BELEIVE YOU GOT YELLED AT!!! You must have turned bright red! I would be so embarrased. Well now you know!
oh man! Crazy Italians...did you remind them your are American and didn't know the rules?!?!
I'm glad you found some good chinese food! My question is, did you actually EAT all that food?
I'll have to tell you about our new found Favorite Chinese food place!
Post a Comment