Sunday, October 26, 2014

A Glorious Day

What a gorgeous day today. Last night France, along with most of Europe, fell back one hour for daylight savings. So we got an extra hour of sleep....not that we needed it!

We had decided to take a picnic to Luxembourg Gardens today after attending St. Sulpice for church and the organ concert. I had a plan and was excited to get going on it.

I made us 2 baguettes with sliced chicken, brie cheese, tomatoes and avocado. We have noticed that the price of grocery food is much cheaper than the US but eating out is more expensive. So with a little bit of planning we could have a nice lunch for just pennies--I mean euros!

We went to St. Sulpice and heard the church bells telling everyone that it was time to go to church. We entered and were given an English program (not that it helped). We then sat and listened to the organ provide the prelude music which was beautiful. The entire church was filled with locals and visitors. Even a homeless man who lives in one of the chapels in the church (we had seen him 2 days ago when we visited and he stood up when we went into "his" chapel as to tell us we were entering his home) was sitting on the sidelines of the church. It is a huge church and the sounds resonate beautifully. Quite the experience whether we understood what was being said or not. I do know that today's sermon was on loving our neighbor and what I couldn't understand I felt.

During the offertory the organ played a beautiful song.  Sorry, we took a video of it but it didn't transfer well to the blog.

 
After church we walked to Luxembourg Gardens to enjoy some great people watching and eat the delicious baguette I had prepared. Paris weather is weird. It can be hot at one time and then it can turn cold immediately. But Parisians love the sun and the gardens were full of people just sitting and sunning themselves. We ate lunch overlooking a beautiful garden with the Eiffel tower in the background. What can get better than that?
I feel so blessed that I get to experience this in my life.


Waiting for church to start. Looking to the front.

The large pipe organs at the back of the church


The front of St. Sulpice. The right tower has never
been finished.


Fountain plaza at St. Sulpice




Maridee sitting at Luxembourg gardens contemplating
how much gardening she has to do.



The pond at Luxembourg. Kids were having boat races in the water.

Luxembourg Palace

Sitting there with the Eiffel tower in the distance between those trees.
 
Print this post

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! And so much culture and history :)