Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Remnants in a restless mind

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

As we were walking to the train station I noticed my eyes were watering. Was it due to the cold wind blowing in my face or the fact that we were leaving Paris? Possibly a mixture of both. Will we ever come back here, Jim and I? Will we come with grandchildren, friends, and other family members or has our time in Paris run its course? Will I ever breathe in the stale smell of past histories or bring to memory the battles fought in this great city and remember the Kings, Queens, peasants and normal people who died fighting for their causes?

How do I feel about never seeing again the towers of Notre Dame, the lights of the Eiffel Tower, the grandness of Sacre Coeur, the Louvre, and the mixture of humanity with all its quirks and faults? Very sad indeed. I have been blessed beyond words to have experienced Paris for almost 3 months during my life. That is more than I ever hoped or dreamed I would get. And to live like a local in apartments, shopping where they shop, cooking from the produce bought from the local markets, seeing doctors and buying medicine, becoming so adept at the metros and trains that others ask for my advice, getting haircuts and doing everything that is normal in everyday living is more than I could have ever hoped for.

But with all that is wonderful about visiting the most exciting city in the world, I probably won’t miss those things that we both find unattractive about Paris.  Smoking has increased in our view since we first came here. We estimate that at least 30%, if not more, of the people smoke. And with smoking comes the trash that is littered on the streets. You cannot avoid it.  Though the city of Paris has come a long way to cleaning the streets it must be a never ending battle for them.

Personal space is a privilege not to be taken for granted. Not only do you give up that privilege when visiting Paris and other European cities but you learn to accept it. I don’t want to be that kind of person who is okay with knocking someone over to get the last seat on the metro or doesn’t say Pardon when running into you. I guess I like my personal space or at least I want to be able to choose if I need my space or not. Sometimes it is not okay to be rude.

And we cannot ignore the smell of urine, whether it is animal or human. As much as I try to pretend it isn’t there the smell permeates certain areas more often than not.  I wonder how a city with so much rich history and buildings allows its people and animals to destroy the experience for others. It just doesn’t make sense.

So with sadness I admit that maybe, just maybe, Jim and I have said our final farewells to the city we love. That isn’t saying we will never go back but the draw that keeps us coming back has somehow changed through the years. Or maybe we have changed. Maybe we feel like we need to end on a grand note, and not tear down the city we love. Maybe we need to accept Paris for what it is, faults and beauty both mixed together and the absolute melting pot of the world that it is. Maybe we need to fully realize and appreciate that we have enjoyed experiences together that will live in our memories forever. And in our memories the negatives always turn positive and we can truly say that Paris is more than we ever hoped or dreamed it would be.  



Print this post

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was beautiful and so sad! It makes me want to go o I can experience it for myself...what you two have experienced.