We headed out today to find the Mouffetard street market that has alluded us every time we have come to Paris. We know it is supposed to be one of the best so we decided to walk to it today, find something to eat and then take our food to the nearby Luxembourg gardens. Well of course nothing is ever how it seems and what started out to be a few streets over and a 29 min walk according to Google maps turned into at least 1.5 hours and 4 miles. We finally found the market only to be discouraged that it wasn't as spectacular as everyone made it out to be. In addition they did not have my tartiflette that I love (potatoes, cheese, onions and ham). So after much grumbling and complaining on my part we headed back to an area where I knew there was supposed to be good tartiflette. While on our way back we passed another street market and I had the bright idea of taking a picture of the largest Big Hunk in the world!!!! They had wheels of nougat of all kinds and flavors. Jim took a picture and then I felt obliged to have the owner cut off a piece for me. You can see his knife working to cut through the nougat. And nowhere was a price per kilo. He cut off my chunk and then weighed it and said "17". I said to someone nearby who could speak a little English, "did he say 17 euros?" and they questioned the man and he said "oui"! 17 euros for a big hunk.......are you kidding me? What have I just done? I have spent my entire daily budget on one piece of Parisian nougat!!!!!! It better be the best Big Hunk I have ever had that's for sure!
| The Largest Big Hunk I have ever seen. That's our chunk he is cutting! |
| Nougat of all flavors and kinds! |
| The Pantheon that always has some weird art thing going on there. Last time it was hanging panty hose! Don't know what the cone on top is supposed to be. |
| Look real hard and you can see the top of the Eiffel tower in the foggy distance. This is the view looking away from the Pantheon. |
Print this post
2 comments:
So did you actually pay for the nougat?? How was it? I need to KNOW THESE THINGS!!!! Lol
Yes I did because I felt like I had to. The use pistachios so it is pretty darn good. Very sweet though.
Post a Comment