That's sta-VANG-er. The fourth largest city in Norway. It sits right at the entrance to a large fjord. We booked a shore excursion today, actually a cruise up the fjord. We didn't arrive at Stavanger until 11am so we got to see the entrance into the harbor. Like the rest of Norway we've seen--it's a beautiful city.
We had lunch before we left the ship and boarded a slick, modern-looking tour boat. It was mostly enclosed with new, comfortable seats--and so off we went.
There were small villages interspersed down the fjord--that is the Lysefjord, kind of like Lisa-Fjord. It was all very beautiful, with tall mountains, waterfalls, small farms and villages. We only went about a third of the distance into the fjord, but there and back took 3 1/2 hours.
The highlight was a spot called Pulpit Rock. Way up at the top of a very steep cliff, there is a flat rock that juts out over the water (600 meters high!)
On the way back we stopped at a restaurant where they served us Norwegian waffles with sour cream and jam! They were great and after a short break, we headed back to Stavanger.
2 comments:
You know, after seeing this post and the previous few with pictures, I'm just in awe of how beautiful it is there! I didn't think it was dirty or anything, but everything looks so crisp, clean and orderly!
Yummy sounding waffles! And I love the landscape!
I'm glad you got your waterfall pic to hang in the office!
In Puerto Vallarta, I felt so stupid when I realized I got off of one boat just to take an all day tour on another boat. Glad you guys enjoyed it!
Post a Comment