Friday, April 10, 2009

The nice thing about Holland America and their Captains is the fact that they take the opportunity, if the weather is good and the conditions are right, to deviate from the agenda. Today was one of those day (much like we had when our Captain cruised through Greenland on our last cruise) that the Captain felt like a scenic cruise past the Azores was called for. Though it wasn’t scheduled he felt like we would enjoy the scenery which we did.

Around 11:00am we went passing by the southern most islands of the Azores, Santa Maria. We were 4 miles offshore and it was a little foggy but still we got a beautiful view of land. While pointing and watching and as though right on cue and as though the Captain had just pushed a remote button, lots and lots of dolphins started swimming and jumping right off the port side of the ship. I would guess that they were bottlenose dolphins and we couldn’t keep track of how many there were. Just when we focused on one group of 5 or so another group would start jumping nearby (I can’t remember if they are called pods or not so group it is!). It was all very cool to see.
>Today the weather has turned a bit colder and overcast. That is fine with us though because our room has lost its air conditioning and we have to go outside to cool off. I have threatened to sleep in the bar on a couch if they can’t fix it!

Tomorrow is our last sea day and I have signed up for “On Deck for the Cure” 5K walk. I got my pink ribbon shirt and hopefully it will be a nice day for walking.
Print this post

1 comment:

Kimber said...

Is that a little village up on the mountain? Cute!!