Sunday, September 27, 2009

Introspection

Today we were awakened early by our new neighbors hanging pictures and building shelves. There was much hammering and nailing going on and many empty boxes outside. They are probably trying to get as settled as they can before the work week starts.

We decided to venture over to our old stomping ground—St. Germain des Pres. We wanted to meander the streets and see if anything had changed. We also thought that since we were in the area we would re-visit the Mexican food restaurant that we discovered last time and have lunch.

As soon as we stepped out of the Metro we knew that we were home again. The same street people with outstretched hands, the same food vendors, and the same chaotic energy.

We wandered around until we found “Les Fajitas” which was closed today. So we will make another trip another time. As we wandered though I noticed something I had not remember seeing before. The ironwork in front of the windows is incredible. Each building had fancier ironwork than the other. Of course these windows would never pass American standards as there is no screen on them. In fact the other night I was trying to fix our curtains and the thought came to me that with the window open, I on a chair reaching above my head to straighten the curtain, could easily fall 7 floors straight down to my death since there is nothing to stop one from doing just that.

Nevertheless the iron trellises on the balconies are just beautiful. I must have spent too much time looking down and watching where I was going before not to notice. I will post pictures of them later.

After having another coconut pastry at our favorite shop the chaotic energy that pulls one to the area is the same chaotic energy that drives one from the area. We had enough and headed back to our quiet, less chaotic apartment. Print this post

No comments: