We pass this fish restaurant everyday. It sells to take home or eat there these huge, huge platters of oysters, crab, lobster, mussel, etc. The platters are at least 24 inches in diameter and mounded with ice and all this fish is placed artistically around it. So Jim took a picture to remind us of it when we get home.
We love that round building, Le Rotunda, that we walk by everyday. I didn't know Jim was going to post it.
The tree with the berries is found all over here. I first thought they were Christmas lights but on closer inspection they are berries. The tree looks like a fir tree so I wanted to look it up and see what it was. They are very large trees, evergreen, and are covered with these red berries.
We were sitting listening to the harpist and it had rained and left a puddle in front of our bench. We had more fun watching the little French sparrows taking a bath so I had Jim take a picture to send to our bird lover Maren. I guess he decided to post it too.
About the cheese, my cousin Beverly, did some web investigation and confirmed what I already learned 3 years ago about reblochon. I have to say I have not had a Tartiflette Savoyarde with puff pastry though. Mostly it is served much like au gratin potatoes but so much better. Here is what she found out.
The FDA put the kabosh on "true" Reblochon but those crafty Savoiard cheesemakers had a trick up their sleeves; they just re-named the cheese. Look for it under the name "Fromage de Savoie" it's the same cheese with just a slightly lower fat content and it's still made with raw milk. Check Arrowine in Alexandria, too.
Hi - if you want to make proper tartiflette, you NEED a real reblochon. Nothing will substitute as it has such a particular flavour.
Of course you can use other cheeses but it won't be a tartiflette then. Just a potato gratin with melted cheese on top
Classicaly you should use a Savoyarde cheese to be authentic but any good fondue cheese would be ok. Definatly not a gruyer or emmental these cheeses are too hard and waxy. In France we have a raclette cheese that would be great. As a alternative very thin slices of Brie or Camenbert on top of shredded onions [sauted] bacon and thinly sliced cooked potato with a couple of spoons of creme fraiche on a puff pastry base what a wonderful tartiflette.
Classicaly you should use a Savoyarde cheese to be authentic [...] shredded onions [sauted] bacon and thinly sliced cooked potato with a couple of spoons of creme fraiche on a puff pastry base what a wonderful tartiflette.
steve. masterchefinfrance that would be a .com
I was able to get the reblochon, so I'm happy, and I picked up some gruyere for a grilled cheese sandwich later on. I like your idea of a puff pastry base ... out of my league to make such a thing, but a friend might be able to.
For learning purposes only.
Reblochon and Gruyère are not at all alike.
Former is a triple creme,with limited aging. The ladder is a firm, nutty earthy cheese. The only resemblance is that the are both cows milk cheeses.
Foodies will argue that there is no substitute for true Reblochon cheese, and technically they’re right. Personally, my food philosophy is that if not having that “perfect ingredient” on hand will prevent you from enjoying an otherwise fantastic recipe, then go for it and substitute the ingredients!
I’ve had great results using Gruyere and Muenster cheeses as a substitute for Reblochon. You won’t even notice that it’s not the original recipe. I hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your Tartiflette!
November 25, 2007 at 10:31 am
(3) Francoise says:
Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried to do a tartiflette with both Gruyere and Munster and, although they melt well, they melt leaving a thick “cover” of cheese which the Reblochon does not do. I am french born (french national), living in the US and I am trying to find a fairly close replica of Reblochon. If you think of another one, let us know. Merci beaucoup
can order reblochon online at:
http://www.gourmet-food.com/french-cheese/reblochon-cheese-100457.aspx
Print this post
Thursday, October 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment