Sunday, October 11, 2009

To-morrow... To-morrow...it's only a day a-way


We've been taking it pretty easy here in Roses so far.  There are just so many French here for the weekend, that we don't really want to deal with the crowds.  It's kind of like we never left Paris!  There are some differences though!

I went for a walk this morning while Maridee did her Internet work.  I walked out to the end of a rock jetty and found some jellyfish sitting ontop of some of the large boulders.  There were two or three fishermen there and one could only assume that they had caught them on their lines and flopped them up on the rocks since they didn't want to touch them.  These were large jellyfish about 18 inches in diameter.  At first I thought that they were Portugese Man of War jellyfish (since we're close by!).  But then we saw one swimming in the water and we could tell that they were some other very large species.


We have done some walking around but haven't visited any sights (because of the crowds).  We went to one of the nearby restaurants for lunch and I ordered the grilled sardines and Maridee a roasted chicken.  The sardines were very small, like the ones that probably get canned, and I wasn't sure exactly how to eat them!  So we got the waiter to show us--just hold on to the head and pull one side of the fillet off and turn it around and pull the other fillet off, and you're left holding the head and the backbone down to the tail!
We had fun there learning new things and ordering new things and eating new things! ***Maridee's disclaimer here: As of tonight, Sunday October 11, 2009, I am now becoming a vegetarian! I don't care what Jim says about the food. I will have nothing more meat or fish until we get on the cruise ship. Jim's dinner was gross too!***
We've picked up brochures and  are deciding what we want to do with the rest of our time here.  All of the French and German should go home tomorrow!
The sun came out today.  When you're in the sunshine--it's HOT.  When you're in the shade, it's nice and cool with a slight breeze.



Print this post

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think dad's fishy plate looks wonderful!!

I've always thought jellyfish were facinating. I can't believe how big those were!

kimber said...

I have nothing to say. Dad you're crazy!

Melissa Yergensen said...

It sounds like you guys are having quite the adventure! By the way, I never got your email from my mom.

Melissa Yergensen said...

Hi Maridee ... I just got your email! It's so sad that we will barely be missing each other. Oh well, it sounds like you are having a fantastic time. We are skipping Barcelona because we are flying into Madrid and had a choice to go either north or south as we only have one week. I love Middle Eastern culture and wanted to see the moorish architecture like The Alhambra so we decided to head south. Everyone says we are going to be missing out not making it to Baracelona so I guess we will have to go there next time! :) Anyways, have a wonderful time - and we will have to get together and compare pictures and Spain notes some time!