Sunday, October 18, 2009

Jim and I made it to Barcelona safe and sound. We left Roses around 8:30 AM and Jim was kind enough to let us take a cab the 30 minute drive to Figueres where the train station is. We had tried to figure out how to use public transport but the buses don’t have the same schedule on Saturday and it was getting very difficult to figure out how to get from point A to point B. So he kindly called for a cab and that made the trip so much easier and I was so much happier.


We got to the train station early enough for the regional train—I mean the slow train to take us to Barcelona . It took 2 ¼ hours but we got to stop at many small Spanish towns along the way. I even got to visit with LDS missionaries as I noticed their badges and sat by them and visited with them. One was from Oregon and the other from Utah .

Once we got to the Barcelona train station we found another cab to take us to the cruise port and we got all checked in. I had a wonderful lunch of food items that I could pronounce and eat! It was glorious!

After lunch we headed out on an ill-fated excursion to find my father’s favorite place in Barcelona —Poble Espanyol ( Spanish Village ). We walked quite a distance until we found the funicular and then we took the funicular up to Montjuic. Once up there we followed the map which took us uphill. Then we started downhill and downhill and downhill until we were almost right back where we started. Then we looked for the arrows pointing to the Spanish Village and the road to the villages went uphill. At this point I said, “I’m done” and we found a metro to take us back to the cruise port. Maybe we will try again tomorrow or maybe not.

Our dining time is the latest we have ever had: 8:00 PM. At least now we can see the shows before dinner since we haven’t watched a show for the past 3 cruises! Our dining companions are from Australia and Florida . We are the youngsters but we enjoyed our dinner with them immensely. The Australian's name is Gaye so I will easily remember that.

We are all well and snug in our little stateroom. We have a nice comfy bed finally and are ready to head back to the United States . I just wanted to let you all know that we made it here safe and sound. Our emails still work and as long as I am in Spain I can use my calling card. Love you all and miss you. We set sail Sunday evening at 5:00 and our next stop is in Alicante Print this post

No comments: