Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Military Tattoo

The Military Tattoo




Oh my gosh! This was one of the most spectacular events I have seen in my lifetime. Since Jim and I see things from different perspectives he will post also.

Let me say that this definitely ranks as a “1000 Places to see before you Die” place.

We were told to dress warm as we would be outside in “the elements”. We were also told that we couldn’t use umbrellas and that it would be crowded.

I guess about 9,000 people converge on the Edinburgh Castle every year to witness this spectacular event. Tonight’s was the 60th year that they have held it, come rain or shine.

It is one huge gala of Military bands from all over the world, marching and playing. I said to Jim it was like watching one of Maren’s band competitions but on steroids!

There were bands from Jordan, New Zealand, England, the Citadel from the US, the Imps, the Highlanders from different Highlands and I am sure others that I will remember.

They first come out all together, marching in and bagpipes playing, horns playing, drums drumming. All of them together were quite a sight. Then each group got to perform independently. It started drizzling but that didn’t matter. Then at the end they all got together again, dedicated the final song to the soldiers serving in Afghanistan and then fireworks shot off. The final scene is the lone bagpiper at the top of the castle (we are talking way high in the sky) playing the same song that was played 60 years ago. Yes I cried; you couldn’t help it.

It took us from 3:30 pm to drive from Greenock to Edinburgh, watch the Tattoo, and return to our ship at midnight! It was very long but I am so glad we got tickets and got to witness this very spectacular event.
 We will post more and hopefully some video of the event when we get to the next port. Print this post

No comments: