Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Kangaroos, Wombats & Devils, Oh My!

Tasmania has been AMAZING! I loved Burnie, the first stop of our trip. I don’t know what I thought Tasmania would be like but it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.  I can’t quite describe why it hit me like this but maybe because I didn’t expect it and it caught me off guard. 
Today we stopped at Hobart, Tasmania, the southernmost city of Australia. All shore excursions were sold out so we went to the local Tourist Information office and they helped us book a city tour of Hobart, Bonorang (a wildlife conservatory where you can get up close and personal with the animals) and a tour of Richmond, one of the oldest and most preserved cities of Australia.
You will see from the pictures I LOVED the animals. All of these animals have been found injured or orphaned and are being rehabilitated to return to the wild. How do I describe being able to feed and pet a kangaroo? Incredible! They just came up to me, I scratched them under their chins where they like to be scratched and we became best friends. The giant white cockatoo offered me a stick through the cage though I am not sure why. The Tasmanian devils were actually not as gross as I thought they would be.  The rainbow lorikeets are exquisite. The wombats are very cute and would be fun to cuddle as babies though as they hit the terrible twos they become quite aggressive. Now maybe seeing these animals in a conservatory isn’t as great as seeing them out in the wild but I loved it all the same.

PS: The tasmanian devil is on the endangered list now and the tasmanian tiger is extinct. So sad.

The ship docked in the harbor

Hobart harbor

The seas south of Hobart



The preserve we visited

Sure she's brave--there's a wall there!

It's the devil himself!

A baby Wombat

Do you see two birds?The Tawny Frogmouths
Tell me how can these beautiful birds be pests?


The oldest bridge in Tasmania in the quaint town of Richmond



And the True Tasmanian Devil with the red ears!

Print this post

4 comments:

Kimber said...

Look at how brave you are!! Great pictures!

candace said...

Loved your pictures! Who knew T-Devils had red ears? So cool. You surrounded by the kangaroos is my favorite.

Dot.com said...

I love your stories. thanks for sharing. the picturesd are wonderful. It is changing my whole attitude about The Aussies!

Girl Who Would Offer Stick Back To Parrot said...

Haha look at that little kangaroo in the second to last photo, just to the right of you. The one looking up at you, so hopeful that you'll share you're next handful of food with him! And the other pics are amazing!!! What a great place you got to visit!