Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Suva, Fiji NOT THE PICTURES OF FIJI YOU WOULD IMAGINE


Well Kimber, we are here finally. Your dream destination.  Your vacation for all lifetime. The one and only place you would pay mega bucks to get to.

Well Suva is the only harbor that ships can sail into. It is miles and miles away from the picture postcards that we all dream about. The harbor is filled with boats; broken boats, rusted boats, and regular sea boats and dark green water; not the crystal clear water of our dreams.


We were informed more than once that the Fiji of our calendars and postcards is on the other side of the island. This Fiji is the industrial side of the island. There were 4 shore excursions to choose from all of which were sold out before we got on board. We were warned not to take any credit cards with us, leave all jewelry behind and they put the US Embassy contact on our shore sheet. Wow!  We are really looking forward to docking here!

We are headed into town to experience the markets and the people. I guess our dream of swimming in Fiji sill be swimming on ship as we sail out of Fiji to say that we swam in Fiji. Maybe I can throw one of the plastic fish on the walls of the Sea Princess into the water to pretend like we are snorkeling.

Bula Bula (the total Fijian greeting meaning Hello, Goodbye or whatever): BACK ON THE SHIP

 We got off the ship and were inundated with tour people wanting our business. It was hot and humid and I started looking around at the tours they were offering. Since we knew that the only beach access we had was at least an hour away that was what I was looking for.

We found a nice tour operator who was glad to agree on a price of $50.00 roundtrip to Pearl Beach Resort with a tour of some villages and general information of the local culture. We were sharing a cab with a man who resembles Steve Nash and has a 3 yr old daughter Ruby. He has been seen on the ship all the time with her and no mama in sight. He is a single dad committed solely to her. She has travelled the world with him and was very bright and cheerful to be with.

When our tour operator finally found a cab driver to drive us and take our US dollars instead of Australian dollars which most of the cabbies wanted we were off.

An hour later we arrived at a beautiful beach resort with a lovely pool, amenities and a beach! I wouldn’t say that the water was pristine blue or turquoise at all. But the water was refreshing and I can say that Jim and I swam in Fiji! The ships shore excursion to the same place cost $100 per person so we thought we got a steal for $50 total!

Tomorrow we cross the International Date Line. Today is Wednesday, April 25, 2012. At 2:00 AM we will set our clocks ahead one hour and set our day back one day. Tomorrow will be Wednesday again…….can you say Groundhog Day in the Pacific? We will be at sea sailing to Pago Pago so it will be another sea day for us. 2:00 AM tomorrow will become 3:00 AM yesterday. Pretty cool.

So I would say thanks to finding a cab driver and going out of our comfort zone we had a wonderful day in Fiji and after I saw the markets I am glad we did something else instead of shopping.

Bula Bula










Aview of Fiji from the ship
Print this post

No comments: