Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tasmania day 1 by Jim


A view of Burnie, Tasmania


The Keyhole Church


The Larger than life size Fairy Penguin in
the town of Penguin, Tasmania


A view of the valley


Isn't this beautiful....so green and lush
Lot's of farming going on here

Spencer Falls--not the biggest but a waterfall nonetheless



From a lookout point



More beautiful scenery from Tasmania



A normal house-most homes have the metal roofs

After a very bumpy crossing overnight, this morning we arrived in Tasmania.  Have you ever imagined what Tasmania looks like?  Do you know where it is?  It’s that little island down underneath Australia.  There’s nothing else down there except Antarctica!

We landed in Burnie, a town on the Northern side of the island, and took a bus tour of the countryside.  It was very informative and interesting—and nothing like I expected.  First of all, the temperatures are not what you would expect—with summertime highs in the mid-20’s Centigrade and wintertime highs in the 9 to 15 degrees Centigrade.  It barely snows at all in the wintertime and around the perimeter of the island it rarely “sticks”.  It does have some high peaks where the snow accumulates

The island is covered with forests, farms, cattle ranches, and grasslands.  They are an agricultural area.  They hardly use the ocean at all.  They are vegetable eaters and beef eaters, not fish eaters.  It seemed very odd to me.  But the landscape is beautiful.`
Print this post

1 comment:

Maren said...

I can't believe how gorgeous it is there!!!!!! Nice job with the temps in Celsius. I had to use my brain and I don't think I still came up with a decent Fahrenheit temp!