Friday, April 20, 2012

A Picture is Worth a 1000 Words- Akaroa











Today our ship anchored out in the French Bay off the eastern shore of the South Island. New Zealand is actually referred to as 2 islands; the North Island and the South Island. We have been travelling around the South Island and will head to the North Island tonight as we depart. Auckland is part of the North Island.

Akaroa is the only French-founded community in this country. Akaroa itself is a small beach front community where the French flag flies proudly next to the New Zealand flag. Although small in size, Akaroa is the oldest colonial town on New Zealand’s South Island.

Many restaurants included French cuisine on their menus and the local tourist guides wear berets but I didn’t truly feel like I was in France. Of course it is as beautiful as the rest of the places we have seen so we were drawn in by the beauty of the countryside and the friendliness of the people.

Usually cruise ships stop at Christchurch but I believe that due to the earthquake a few years back they are still in the reconstruction of that area.

We spent a few hours walking around and window shopping and then took the tender back to the ship where The Lord of the Rings-the Return of the King was playing on the large outside movie screen with the real New Zealand as its backdrop. Even for a non-Lord of the Rings fan I found it beautiful and stunning.

New Zealand is such a world apart from everything else. The southern island is so beautiful and spectacular that I don’t know how it could get any better.
A spectacular sunset leaving South Island
Print this post

No comments: